Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hey Mr. DJ

I'm notorious for dj'ing family functions. Playing music is like an escape, and an adventure for me. I love to play music for fam and friends. Quite often people will ask if they can have my music, which is kind of a odd question. I never know what to say to those that ask, because in a lot of ways it's like asking to take my children and never bring them back. I use children as an example because I'm very close to my music, so imagine giving anything that you are very close to away to not get back... it's not that easy.

Lately I have been considering taking up dj'ing as a more serious hobby, and purchasing a cross fader. Dj'ing doesn't have to be all about fancy turn table tricks, shit, it don't really have to be about a cross fader. I've been turning out house parties with just a lap top and a speaker for some time now. So really I have boiled it down to this theory: AS LONG AS I ENJOY THE MUSIC AND EVERYONE SEE'S THAT, THE'LL MOST LIKLY GROVE WITH ME. No doubt I'll get a request or two, which is cool, but the moment my solid gold soul set turns into, "hey, let's play the new Wacka Flacka Flame request hour", I'm not down with that.

When I play music, it's guaranteed to be old school. I pretty much specialize in 70's/80's funk and disco. I'm talking Peter Brown's Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me, and my all time favorite George Clinton Atomic Dog. Along with an array of soul/R&B and Pop mixed in. While yes I do sprinkle a little new millennium music in too, it really is not my forte.

If I'm ever to be asked to play music for anyone's function, I need to know that I can play the music that I like to play as I would if I were in my cousins basement on card night. I feel as though I can stipulate that, for it is not about the money they may pay me for my services, although it's nice to be paid, it's about integrity. It's about the good ass music that could never go out of style. It's about FUN. If I can't have fun, then I'd rather not be posted in someones dj booth looking stone cold crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment