Saturday, January 30, 2010

A New Day, For Lack Of A Better Title

I've spent a lot of time being anti Haiti, not because I didn't care about the many people that lost homes, lives, and relatives. But I was thinking about myself, and my country. I thought about the currant state America is in. I'm not patriotic, and on many occasions wished I could leave this country. I know that in retrospect we have it great here even if we don't see it. You see, we have all these things, but at the expense of all these other country's. So why gloat about what we have? We are selfish! We are greedy! Myself included at times. Why am I writing this you may ask, and what's the point anyhow? Well it's like this, my opposition to donating and showing compassion to the whole Haiti situation was because I feel America rushes into foreign affairs, to so call (in many cases) help. Meanwhile ignoring whats on the home front.

There has been an earthquake right here in America. The depression (fuck a recession) homelessness, hunger, foreclose, the crime rate the death rate, and the list goes on. Help us! Help America, I said! But who can help us? The government, hah! No they can't save us. Obama can't save us. We have to save ourselves, so for all the people that donate ten dollars here, and ten dollars plus there to help Haiti (amongst other places in need) could have donated to us (the people) to our country for better or for however worst is. It wasn't out of non-compassion that I felt this way; I was just concerned about my well being where I live. I soon after realize after pissing away money on not needed materialistic possessions; I was waisting money while other people were saving lives. They were providing water, food, cloths, medicine.. Etc. I felt terrible about all my griping! I was the one who was wrong! Not that it would have been better if I had donated that money to an organization here on the home front but NAW I blew it. So this is my apology, to whom am I apologizing to. I don't know. I don't believe I was wrong to feel how I felt initially, but I was wrong for being reactive not proactive. I wasn't practicing what I preach, I wasn't practicing UNITY, for that I am sorry! So if Haiti needs us, and America needs us; then we need each other.

Thank you

P.S not that it matters, but I went back and donated even just a lil helps!

2 comments:

  1. I can understand your sentiments regarding aid in Haiti. But given the circumstances, the aid given and required was undeniable.

    Actually, it is sad that the world had to wait until the country got to this poin to react. Just like it took a damaging hurricane for America to see Katrina. Most definitely Louisianna had socio-economic issues before then...but no one saw it. And now, all eyes have even fallen from Katrina!

    Point blank, the U.S. never gets involved unless it benefits them in some way! And like you've observed, our government's greed has put American citizens in jeopardy. Trillions of dollars have been wasted on the war on terror.

    Haiti, the impoverished cities of America, and then some could have benefited a great deal from that money! For so long students have stuggled in college and no one cared, yet some way, some how, we had Trillions of dollars to expend? Crazy!

    Government officials lie when they say they don't have the resources to address certain issues. But the past 9 years prove that when they have selfish intentions, they'll stop at nothing to get what they want. Even if it means wasting money and resources that could have been used elsewhere.

    Sorry to write so much.
    Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra I'm really happy that you read and responded. Thank you Kendra

    ReplyDelete