Sunday, September 20, 2009

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT - ladies edition

I would like to start off by saying, boy I'm sorry for Being gone for so long. I promise it wasn't in vain. However, on to the good stuff! I want to lay off the rants and rages long enough to highlight some artist of different mediums. I take inspiration from all of these artist.



JANELLE MONAE!

yes indeed, I am amazed by this enchantress. Janelle will be releasing 4 albums called suites. I'm not sure why they are called suites, but each project works together to tell a SCI-FI story of an android that falls in love with a human. Now her creators are after her head! I hope I paraphrased the story correctly, if not, not disrespect to Miss Monae. pick up this album, listen for yourself.



SIDEBAR- MONAE is almost always sporting black and white attire.



Janelle created the Wonderland Art Society, then hooked up with Big Boi of Outkast, who hooked her up with Diddy. After all that Hooking up, seems Monae is in for big things. I think it's great to see Diddy behind an artist as original as Janelle Monae.



MANY MOONS IS THE TRUTH, AND ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW FROM THE FIRST SUITE, CALLED THE CHASE CLICK TO SEE THE VIDEO



M.I.A!!!!!

I can't tell you enough how much I like M.I.A. Honestly I stumbled on to her years back while watching late night videos. The song was GALANG, and I found it to be simple and repetitive. That is exactly the kinda of stuff I like. Repetitive beats put me in a trance, and I find myself memorized. I can't say that Galang is my favorite M.I.A song, but as an introduction to her music; when I saw her years later I remembered her face. LONG BEFORE the success of PAPER PLANES, I had bought the Album for $9.99. I really didn't know what to do with it, mostly because I didn't understand what she was talking about.



Sometime after that I began to research Maya Arulpragasam; only to find she was an art major at a art college in LONDON. She is a graphic designer, and an all around artist. With the help of a drum machine, she became a RAPPER. Rapping about social injustice, and what it's like growing up in third world countries. Her father was a freedom fighter, and Maya spent a few of her early years as a refugee.



Might I add that over the years M.I.A has blessed us with a blend of flash, and around the way girl style. Transforming further into a fashion designer with her own line. I describe it as a blend of prints, patterns, and worldly influence.



Fresh

No comments:

Post a Comment