Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Meeting Capoeira pt1

The Why… kinda
I have wanted to learn capoeira for years now, yet I couldn’t tell you when I learned it even existed. I was intrigued the moment I saw it being performed, and began searching websites for places in Chicago where I could take classes. It seemed to be a “secret squirrel” society though. It was something people were doing, but it was hard to find a place to go to where one could see such a marvel for himself. I wasn’t living in the city at the time, and the only places found were far away from me. But I was willing to take the long journey from south suburb to the cities end to learn this graceful thing.
I found a place called Keller’s Martial Arts in Irving Park that offers martial art classes in various styles from taekwondo to hapkido, boxing, kickboxing, judo and even kung Fu. However the owner sneakily has patrons sign these eleven month contracts that require one to pay one hundred dollars a month for the duration of the contract plus a start up fee. I would have gladly paid too, but the schedule posted online for the capoeira classes changed drastically and it no longer was worth my wild to join seeing as I ONLY wanted to learn capoeira.
I found a place in Pilson, IL, which had a pay as you go type of plan. That sounded much better to me. I took one class, and never made it back. It was just too inconvenient on account of my class schedule and the commute. I saw that capoeira classes were offered at the fitness center on campus at Columbia College. Which was perfect. I was already a student, but when I went to join; it turned out that the brochures for the fitness center where I found that information were outdated. That was spring of 2010. Fast forward to fall semester 2011 when I found out that once again capoeira was back at the fitness center, I was ecstatic. I could get in shape, learn this skill I’ve wanted to learn for so long, and it was free!
The What… somewhat
Capoeira is in limbo between a deadly sport, and a graceful dance. Combining fast flying roundhouse kicks done ever so poetically to an entrancing spiritual, yet tribal music. Ultimately creating something that resembles a contemporary dance. It seems as though the exact origin of capoeira is a touchy subject. I’ve always know this to be a Brazilian martial art, however it seems that some serious capoeiristas and other so-called knowledgeable people of all things worldly think otherwise.
I was speaking to a friend, a friend who is not at all a capoeira contender, and he said that capoeira was a based off a system that comes from the Yoruba people. I’m not knowledgeable enough to dispute that, however I found a passage in a book that really caught my attention. The passage basically said: that saying that Capoeira is completely native to Brazil without the African influence would be absurd, yet to say that it was preexisting is too far fetched. I agree with that because of all the countries that partook in slave trading, capoeira is still what I like to call “secret squirrel society”. Even though it does exist, and is very popular, it isn’t as easily found as say… karate or other Asian based martial arts. My perhaps… ignorant opinion is of all the slaves the United States had; if Capoeira were native to Africa, it would be as big for us as it is for Brazil. (Almeida)
The Place
Capoeira at Columbia College Chicago is taught in the basement of the fitness center, which is part dormitory, part student rec center. The building is located on the corner of Plymouth court and Polk Street. Outside the building is a collection of bars and shops, and the old Dearborn station. As I go inside I think to myself how few times I’ve been in this place. I take a seat at the window to really absorb my surroundings. It is a tremendous amount of purple decor in this place, and for a recreation area it sure is quiet. Walking down the stairs to the lower level is an eerie thing with only a few footsteps, and elevator dings to be heard along with the hum of a vending machine.
The Capoeira class meets Tuesday’s at 6:00 pm in a huge room with a wall, covered floor to ceiling with mirrors. Black and white speckled rubber like mats cover the floor. A speaker system is in one corner. This is a multi purpose room used for activities like yoga, but also could be a junk room for random things not being used. There is a wall covered with boxes packed with unknown things. They have aerobic equipment like steps, and some weights. There’s usually a little funk in air when I’m in this room. Not because I stink, but you know… people workout there.
Students warm up by jumping in place, and performing the ginga back and forth, and up and down. Form is very important when drilling moves for speed, accuracy and ultimately protecting your self from counter attacks or being tripped/pushed down. During one of our sessions the maestro was having people drill moves called armada and queixada (ke-sha-da). Basically one delivers the former kick then leans back to get out of dodge, because the opponent is going to return with the latter of the kicks mentioned. People weren’t giving the lean enough importance, and he wanted everyone to know that you have to be sure to clear your face and shoulder from the attackers foot. He then said “Give those movements justice, I swear I’ll kick you” (Granger)
The Teacher (Maestro) and His Crew
The Maestro is a man of average height, and built frame by the name of Joshua Granger. He’s a family man, whose wife always comes in ten or 20 minutes earlier than he does carrying their son. A fair skin, green eyed, curly haired baby boy who’s destined to be one of the top capoeiristas in the city of Chicago. Several times I heard Joshua say Isaiah (son) will start training as soon as he learns to walk. Josh started his own training in 1994 at age seventeen after being introduced to it at the University Of Chicago, a place he said he frequented even though he was not enrolled there.
The Game
The pulse of the music is like a heartbeat dictating the pace of the movements. Meanwhile what is being sung is meant to keep our energy up when you’re in the roda (pronounced ho-da). Every practice has a roda at the end. A roda is when everyone forms a circle, and then two people spar one another. When they’re done, they leave the circle and the next two opponents go. There is another way we do a roda in the class and that’s when one person goes against another, and after a few minutes someone else has to “buy in” and take the place of the fighter who has fought the longest in that match. This game is about courtesy and respect. The point is to show off your moves, and maybe tap the opponent but not intentionally hurt them; meanwhile you’re becoming a better capoeirista. When class is over we huddle in circle; put in one hand and yell salve (sal-ve) or save us in Portuguese.

No comments:

Post a Comment