Thursday, February 10, 2011

Soul Music

When most of us think of soul music the connotation is r&b driven music performed by a black artist. To a certain extent that is true, mostly because we made it that way. That's the term we use when describing such acts. However, for me, any music performed with enough emotion that the voice, instruments, composition...etc have the ability to single handed-ly or collectively influences or sway my emotions is soul music. That transcends race, gender, preference or any other box. At the point when troubles are forgotten, and sad moods become happy, it's just the listener and the music... It's just soul to soul.

*Note when I say we, I mean people in general. Black, white, or whatever.

I'm adding links of some ... just a small few of my favorite songs, that I consider to be full of soul. Which adding just a couple is very hard, for I love music and have far too many favorites.

Dionne Warwick - He's Gone. Which is a cover song (originally She's Gone by Tavares), and it really jams.

Gino Vannelli - I Just Wanna Stop. I think a lot of people know this one, but I for the longest this was an African American man. Hah! Tell me something.

Helen Reddy - To love somebody. The man is named Barry Gibbs, the lead singer of the bee gees. He singing.

Celia Cruz - Bemba Colora (red lips) - This is my JAM. The queen of salsa is singing with FUERZA. Peep the crowd too.

Shirley Bassey - Excuse Me. I'm a sucker for this sort of theatrical song and expression. I feel her pain when I listen.

*Note: some of these songs may be too advanced for the average listener.

No comments:

Post a Comment